Monday, May 12, 2008

Picton Ontario ~ Pretty town in S. Ontario


In early May I had the pleasure of attending an antique auction at this gorgeous red brick heritage home in Picton, Ontario, Canada. Picton is a beautiful little town and was one of the earliest settlements in Canada ~ long before our country officially existed. Picton was located in the British Colony known as Upper Canada ~ 1791 - 1841 and Canada West between 1841 to 1867. Canada became "a Kingdom in her own right" in 1867.

Lovely little Picton, Ontario dates back to 1837 (on the record books). As a result, Picton is full of heritage. This lovely home was the site of an estate sale and antique auction . . . the kind that is rarely available to the public. The kind of sale that makes me drive 3 hours to get there !

This heritage home is almost 150 years old and its former owners (Jackson - MacDonald - Nourse ) participated in the sale. Many items date back to the original owners. Wonderful treasures were unveiled. The auctioneer even came out of retirement for this unique sale!

The front door and porch are stunning. I got a few pictures after the auction was over.



On sale day I discovered quilts, linens and trunks full of Victorian and Edwardian clothing ! I did win three large boxes full of linens and clothing. I will be very busy photographing it all.




Some items went well above what most people could afford. See that tiny little red and black wallet/purse on the dresser below, with the diamond pattern . . . it sold for $1,500.00 !!! Apparently it was signed and dated (late 1700's) by it's owner and completely hand made. Not much of a surprise to hear that I did not win that one, LOL. There was lots of competition at this auction sale (from Toronto I would guess). My daughter said she enjoyed watching me fight it out with the big boys ;-).

Then this little dresser sold for only $125.00. I think I was still in shock about the purse . . . so I was asleep at the wheel, so to speak. Boy I wish I had bought it ! Don't you wish you could go back in time . . . and do auction day over again ; -). I did win the linens in the big black container (botton right of photo). Lovely redwork, embroidery and victorian clothing in that lot. I have lots of goodies for my new online store.



This is another historic home in Picton . . . it looks beautiful with the Magnolia tree in bloom.



My husband and I were married in Piction. The Merrill Inn is where I stayed the night before my wedding, with my Maid of Honour. We stayed in the room with the lovely bay window.



This is where my daughter hopes to get married ~ the 1904 colonial manner that was lovingly restored to its grandeur and made into the Claramount Spa and Inn. It overlooks Picton Bay and has a Secret Garden Setting. Stunning ! I guess I should start saving now ~ ha ha.




Ah well, enough of dream land . . .back to work photographing the lovely Edwardian and Victorian clothing I won at the auction : ).

I will let you know when I expect to have my next store update.
A sneak peek of the white-work and lace . . .



9 comments:

Lu Lu's Fluffy Ruffles said...

what a beautiful town!!!
and the place you got married at was so charming!
the spa your daughter hopes to be married in is like a fairy tale.
smiles,
Sandy

Sarah said...

What a wonderful auction/estate sale. Just to be able to go into that old house and look around! Thanks for sharing pics of all the other old homes!
Sarah
http://vintagelily.typepad.com/

Karen ~ Cider Antiques said...

Thank you ! It was a very fun day.

Hi Beverly, I goofed and hit delete instead of post, when reviewing your comment. Sooooo sorry. I do appreciate every comment I receive. xoxox

~ Karen.

Stephanie ~ Angelic Accents said...

What a lovely town, picturesque setting! Can't wait to see more of your goodies!

Beautiful places for weddings, too!

Hope you had a wonderful Mother's Day!

Hugs,
Stephanie
Angelic Accents

Charmingdesigns said...

Hi Karen, You might want to check out my blog, your name is mentioned. Laurie

Donna Lynn said...

Oh my word, talk about beautiful houses! I would indeed get crackin on saving for your DD's wedding! That would be just like a fairy tale to get married in that beautiful town! WOW! How blessed you are to be able to have such a lovely town to visit and go to auctions at! Sorry you didn't get the red purse or the dresser...

Have a wonderful week...oh and congrats on winning your prize from Laurie, I won a darling plate from her and it is on my recent Mothers Day post, I love it so much.

Hugs, Donna Lynn

landofnodstudios said...

Karen what stunning homes they look like they are right out of a magazine. I have never been to Picton I can see why you enjoy it so much. Can't wait to see all your treasures looks like you hit the jack pot yet again. Hugs Deborah

Nancy said...

Hi Karen...I just love your pics of Picton. I have been there a couple of times. It is such a nice little town. Right out of a magazine...so quaint and pretty. Love the houses! Your daughter will have a beautiful wedding there. Oh and your finds...just so lovely.

Hugs, Nancy

Edie Marie's Attic said...

Hi Karen!
Incredible town, almost like a storybook town! I'm so happy you won the linens. Auctions are so fun, stick me in your pocket the next time you go!
Hugs, Sherry