Saturday, November 22, 2008

A Magnificant Gown ~ late 1800s to early 1900s

~~~
My family and I were on the topic of Time Machines this evening at dinner. Not sure how we got there, but we did. Everyone in our family (except me) said they would go forward . . . to the future, if they had one chance to try a time machine. Not me. I know what I would do. I would go back in time (likely 100 years) and wear this lovely antique dress that I recently purchased. I would go back in time . . . to the big event that this dress attended. I would tag along, in the dress ! I would go back for one day . . . with no knowledge of the evening or the event. . . . just to wear this dress and experience an Edwardian Party. Of course I would be my 18 year old self, LOL. Or perhaps a 1920's Flapper party would be fun too. Hmmm . . . a hard decision.



It is made of Princess lace, silk and velvet



It is in amazingly good condition ~ very few breaks or rips




If falls so nicely

It also has a layer of sequins and beading below the lace bodice


There is a silk ruffled edge along the velvet

The floral detail is layered and raised


The velvet train is beautiful . . .


Very elegant


I guess my Dress Form will be lookin' good shortly : )

11 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh, WOW! That IS a lovely, lovely gown! That is amazing! Thank you for the beautiful closeup photos! I hope you show it on your dress form, as well!

Unknown said...

Wow, I would love to see that on your dress form.

I would like to back in time as well.

Nancy said...

Hi Karen...Oh, this dress is stunning! I just love the lace and the colour. I'm with you...I would love to go back in time for a while. You would look lovely in that dress, Karen...a romantic dinner for two closer to Christmas perhaps?!

Have a great week!
Hugs, Nancy

Anonymous said...

hey, where can I get the dress like you?

regards,

Sarah

http://buy-kaspersky-internet-security-2009.blogspot.com/

The Victorian Parlor said...

That dress is absolutely gorgeous! I also collect vintage clothing from the Victorian/Edwardian era. I am a storyteller who performs stories set in these eras. I would go back to the 1880's for a ball if given the chance. Thank you so much for sharing!

M said...

ur blog is a great one!!!!!!!!

Learn Macedonian

Crochet-fashionista said...

whaouuu !!!! i love them, very nice dress.

Good luck

sandra

Cape Cod Rambling Rose said...

Oh my gosh - my heart went pitter pat! What a GORGEOUS gown! I would have to vote for going back in time as well! Imagine the woman who must have worn that dress originally... what was the color of her hair... did she have curly or straight hair... oh my, I am so ridiculously romantic when antique lace is involved! I am glad to have stumbled upon your blog this evening! =)

Morë Vendë said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Morë Vendë said...

Wow... Perfect! It's really a beautiful dress. The clothes from past times are amazing.

oil painting said...

very good,thanks very much!
Welcome warmly login our website: http://www.art-ych.com
(Oil painting , Acrylic painting, Modern painting, Abstract painting , Landscape painting, Impression painting , Decoration painting )